An Easy Strawberry ShortCake Dessert Bar With A Twist
When summer arrives it’s all about family cookouts and creating memories. Memorial Day Weekend is not only a day to remember those who have served but, for me, also a time to appreciate those who are in your life now. To gather with friends and/or family and create new memories and reconnect from the past year. This weekend kicks off the summer and nothing says summer more than strawberry shortcake. There are so many options when it comes to strawberry shortcake including angel food cake, biscuits or those pre-packaged cakes you find at the store. A few weeks ago I went to a cookout with friends and those much loved mini cakes were for dessert. The little kids loved them, as I did too. But I thought that a homemade version would be pretty amazing too. So I started researching and a vanilla chiffon cake was the answer. Similar to angel food cake, but uses eggs yolks, whites and oil, the texture and flavor is even better then those purchased mini cakes. This vanilla chiffon cake is your new go-to summer dessert. Bake it in a pan, cut in any shape you wish (rectangle, circle, triangle etc) and create the best summer dessert bar this season.
I guarantee that this cake will be done in the same amount of time, if not faster, than driving to the store to pick up the store bought cakes and bringing them home. Plus your home will smell amazing once guests arrive. Your kitchen helper will enjoy pouring in the ingredients and running the hand mixer, if you dare. Have plenty of mixed berries and whip cream because this dessert will go fast. The recipe below is for a small group of four adults for those weekends that need a special dessert after dinner. Double the recipe and now you are ready for a party! Ok, who’s going to the dessert bar first?
Recipe source: Two Red Bowls
- 2 Eggs (separated)
- 1/4 Teaspoon - Cream of Tarter
- 7 Tablespoons - Sugar
- 1/2 Cup + 1 Tablespoon - Cake Flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon - Baking Powder
- 1/8 Teaspoon - Salt
- 2 Tablespoon - Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 Cup - Milk
- 1/2 Teaspoon - Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 325° F and line a 8x8 square pan with parchment, set aside
- In a medium bowl whisk together the 6 tablespoons of sugar, cake flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside
- In a small bowl whisk together the 2 egg yolks, vegetable oil, milk and vanilla extract.
- With a hand mixer, beat the egg whites until they reach soft peaks. Gradually add in the 1 tablespoon of sugar until the whites are firm and glossy.
- Whisk the wet and dry ingredients together until smooth. Now fold in the egg whites until incorporated.
- Pour batter into the pan and spread to all four corners. Bake at 325° for 25 minutes, until golden brown and cake springs back.
- Once the cake is removed it will sink down slightly in the middle as it cools. Cut into rectangles and serve along side berries and whip cream
Nicole is a professional photographer, mother to an energetic child, and founder of Make and Taste. She has been a Commercial, Editorial and Lifestyle photographer for 10 years and has been published in various magazines and brand websites. Nicole is passionate about providing her child with meaningful experiences and documenting all of the fun along the way. You can always find her baking with her 7 year old and enjoying a good cup of coffee.