Not My Grandmother’s Zucchini Bread
I’m certain that when my family members read this “zucchini bread” post, they are going to get a good laugh. There is an ongoing joke in my family that started when I was just a kid. Throughout my childhood, my family and I often took trips to visit my grandmother, mémère. During one of these visits she proudly presented us with homemade zucchini bread. The bread looked great but there was one thing missing… the zucchini. She couldn’t believe that she forgot it and we all had a good chuckle. Ever since that moment zucchini bread has given us a good laugh whenever we think back to that visit. When I read this recipe for Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread I liked that it added some healthy elements by using whole wheat flour, honey for the sugar and unsweetened applesauce for added sweetness and moisture. On top of that, I already had all the ingredients at home so I didn’t have to make a special trip to the store. The dark chocolate chips added some nice texture and that sweet/bitter balance that take this simple recipe over the top. The original recipe called for chopped walnuts which I personally love, but with my little kitchen helper in mind, I knew he might not enjoy the texture of a nut in the bread so I decided to leave them out. Slice this bread up and serve it plain or even pop it in the toaster and add a little butter for a little bit of extra texture and saltiness. This is one of those recipes that will keep the kids and the adults happy.
Recipe Source: Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread by Joyful Healthy Eats
- 1 1/2 Cups - White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Teaspoon - Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon - Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon - Salt
- 2 Teaspoons - Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon - Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 Cup - Raw Honey
- 1/2 Cup - Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1/3 Cup - Coconut oil, melted
- 1 Egg
- 2 Teaspoons - Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/4 Cup - Grated Zucchini
- 3/4 Cup - Dark Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease an 8x8 or 9x9 loaf pan with baking spray. Set aside
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl whisk together the honey, applesauce, coconut oil, egg and vanilla extract
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combined
- Fold in the zucchini and chocolate chips
- Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan and bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes (or until a toothpick comes out clean)
- Allow the bread to cool slightly before transferring to a cooling rack. Serve warm and enjoy!
Nicole is a professional photographer, mother to an energetic child, and founder of Make and Taste. She has been a Commercial, Editorial and Lifestyle photographer for 10 years and has been published in various magazines and brand websites. Nicole is passionate about providing her child with meaningful experiences and documenting all of the fun along the way. You can always find her baking with her 6 year old and enjoying a good cup of coffee.