Bacon, Egg & Cheese Puff Pastry Hand Pies
Start the day with these heart shaped bacon, egg and cheese puff pastry hand pies! These couldn’t be easier to make and boy are they delicious. I typically have this breakfast treat on a toasted bagel, but for Valentine’s Day, lets break out the puff pastry dough. Your first step is to take one sleeve of puff pastry dough out of the box and allow it to warm on the countertop, no longer than 40 minutes. Simply make a slice of bacon on the stove, then scramble the eggs to your liking. Once you have the fillings cooked you are almost at the finish line. The recipe below makes two hand pies, but it can easily be adjusted to make many more. How can you go wrong with Bacon, Egg and Cheese? Have your little kitchen helper join in on the fun by sprinkling the bacon and cheese. They will also enjoy cutting out the heart shapes too.
- 1 Box - Puff Pastry (only use 1/2 for 2 hand pies)
- 3 - Eggs (2 scrambled) (1 for egg wash)
- 1 Slice - Bacon (cooked and chopped)
- 2 Tablespoons - Finely Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Pinch of Sea Salt (to sprinkle on top of hand pies)
- Remove half of the puff pastry dough out of the box and allow it to warm on the countertop. Do not leave out for more than 40 minutes.
- In the meantime, cook your bacon (or multiple slices) on the stove top. Set aside to cool, then chopped
- Once bacon is cooked, scramble two eggs to your liking. I add a pad of butter to the pan to melt, then drop two eggs, break the yolks and mixed until scrambled. Set aside
- Once you are able to open up the puff pastry dough to lay flat, you are ready to start making the hand pies
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Place a piece of parchment on a small baking sheet and set aside
- Dust your work surface with flour. Place the square puff pastry dough on the surface and use a large heart shaped cookie cutter (I used a 3.5" wide cookie cutter)
- One square of dough will create four hearts or two hand pies.
- When filling the hand pies leave a small edge around the heart in order to crimp after. Divide eggs between the two heart shaped puff pastry cut outs. Then add bacon and sprinkle with cheese
- Use water or egg wash to brush along the edge. (egg wash = 1 eggs mixed with a splash of water) Take the top pieces, stretch slightly in order to fit over the filling. Crimp edges with a fork.
- I didn't want to waste all the dough, so I used a smaller cookie cutter and cut out 4 min puff pastry heart for decoration and an additional treat
- While the oven is heating up, place the hand pies in the refrigerator.
- Once oven is ready, brush the top of the hand pies with an egg wash, sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly and enjoy!
Nicole is a professional photographer, mother to an energetic child, and founder of Make and Taste. She has been a Commercial, Editorial and Lifestyle photographer for 10 years and has been published in various magazines and brand websites. Nicole is passionate about providing her child with meaningful experiences and documenting all of the fun along the way. You can always find her baking with her 7 year old and enjoying a good cup of coffee.